A theme focusing on the making of bodies and personhood from a range of different perspectives. This includes both the physical making (and unmaking) of human bodies through food and sustenance, the ageing process, and pathologies; and also the social and cultural production of identities through strategies as diverse as mythological genealogies, dress, and body language. Within this theme, we have particular expertise in gendered identities, mortuary archaeology, and archaeogenetics.
Appleby, Armit, Barton, Harlow, Harris, Lennon, Mac Sweeney, Masséglia, O’Sullivan, Tarlow
Key research projects:
- ATOM: Ancient Textiles of the Orient and Mediterranean
- The Covesea Caves project
- Genetic transformations in prehistoric Europe
- Hellenistic Women
- Richard III
- Appleby, J. 2017. ‘Ageing and the Body in Archaeology’. Cambridge Archaeological Journal: 1-19.
- Appleby, J., G.N. Rutty, S.V. Hainsworth, RC. Woosnam-Savage, B. Morgan, A. Brough 2014. ‘Peri-mortem skeletal trauma in Richard III: a skeletal analysis.’ The Lancet 385: 253-259.
- Armit, I. 2012. Headhunting and the Body in Iron Age Europe. Cambridge University Press.
- Crellin, R.J. 2017. ‘Changing Assemblages: tracing vibrant matter in burial assemblages’. Cambridge Archaeological Journal 27: 111-125.
- Harlow, M. and Laurence, R., 2017. ‘Augustus Senex: Old Age and the Remaking of the Principate’. Greece and Rome 64: 115-131.
- Harlow, M. (ed.) 2016. A Cultural History of Dress and Fashion. Volume 1. Antiquity. Bloomsbury.
- Robb, J. and Harris, O.J.T. 2013. The Body in History: Europe from the Palaeolithic to the future. Cambridge University Press.
- Robb, J. and Harris O.J.T. 2018. ‘Becoming gendered in European prehistory: was Neolithic gender fundamentally different?’ American Antiquity 83: 128-147
- Masséglia, J. 2015. Body Language in Hellenistic Art and Society. Oxford University Press.
- Masséglia, J. 2013. ‘Phrygians in relief: trends in self-representation’ in P. Thonemann (ed.) Roman Phrygia: Culture and Society. Cambridge University Press: 95-123