Bank holiday arrangements
Support, opening times and services during period of national mourning
Following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the Government has announced a national bank holiday on Monday 19 September for her state funeral and to mark the last day of the period of national mourning.
The University will treat the day like all other bank holidays: teaching will not take place and normal bank holiday operating practices will apply.
As Monday 19 September is a bank holiday, this will impact on shops, services, travel and amenities so please check in advance any arrangements you have made.
Paying your respects
- The state funeral takes place at Westminster Abbey on Monday 19 September from 11.00am.
- You can watch the funeral on campus at the Library café and Village Hub.
- Staff and students - find out more about how the University has paid tribute to Her Majesty as well as how you can do so, including books of condolence and floral tributes (log-in required).
Urgent support on Monday 19 September
- Call 999 for the police, ambulance or fire services. If you feel your safety or wellbeing is at immediate risk, please call 999. For urgent medical help that is not life-threatening, ring 111 to speak to a trained professional who will direct you to the appropriate NHS service.
- University Security is available 24 hours a day. They can respond directly to incidents on campus, including halls of residence and can provide support with reporting incidents to the police. Call 0116 252 2023 (non-emergency) or 0116 252 2888 (emergency). This can also be done using the Safezone app on Android and Apple.
- The Village and The City receptions are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 0116 252 2428 or email@example.com.
Changes to opening times, services and events
- David Wilson Library is open 24/7 on Monday 19 September. There are no Library staffed services on this date but the Library is staffed by University Security. The Special Collections Reading Room and the Percy Gee Information Desk are closed.
- The Library Café is open 9.30am-3.30pm on Monday 19 September, but closes at 11.00am to allow staff and students to watch the funeral service.
- Danielle Brown and Roger Bettles Sports Centres are open 8.00am-7.30pm on Monday 19 September.
- Check the Leicester Service Partnership website for catering outlet opening times.
- ‘Migration and the making of Leicester: 50 years on from the Ugandan Asians’ arrival’ public lecture, originally due to take place on Thursday 15 September, has been postponed until Thursday 13 October. All other events in the series will go ahead as planned.
- Two of our pre-arrival Welcome events: campus tour and Leicester Uncovered on Monday 19 September are cancelled. Rebook onto those happening later in the week.
- Students’ Union offices are closed and all student led activities booked in Percy Gee are cancelled.
- Attenborough Arts Centre is closed on Monday 19 September.
Information for staff
- If staff have previously booked annual leave for 19 September, the annual leave system will be updated and staff’s entitlement adjusted accordingly, without them having to take further action. If a member of staff has already requested a period of leave that includes Monday 19 September, managers should approve this in the normal way, as the system will then adjust accordingly when the update is made. The system change will take place in the background over the next week.
- Normal bank holiday operating practices will apply – please speak to your line manager if you are unsure.
- The Government has confirmed that schools will be closed.
- If you have been affected by the death of Her Majesty please get support – find out more information on SharePoint.
Information for students
- Teaching will not take place on Monday 19 September and provisions will be made to reschedule activities and lectures planned for that date.
- If you have been affected by the death of Her Majesty please do get support – find out more information on SharePoint.
- Freemen’s Cottages helpdesk is open 24/7 for check in, early arrivals, support for resident students and providing free tea, coffee and coverage of the funeral.
Information for new students
- Find information about getting settled into Leicester on your Welcome Hub.
- If you booked to move into your accommodation or for an airport pick-up on Monday 19 September, this will continue as planned.
- If you have any enquiries, please contact:
- For registering: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)116 252 2448.
- For accommodation: email@example.com or call +44 (0)116 252 2428 or @UoLResLife
- For fee payment: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Due to the bank holiday, transport services may be limited - please see the latest advice before setting out on your journey:
- National Rail, including specific advice for the mourning period.
- National Express