The President and Vice-Chancellor
Professor Paul Boyle CBE FBA FRSE
- Professor Boyle appointed as Vice-Chancellor Designate from 1 September, 2014
- He has served as International Champion, Research Councils UK, since 2010
- Has over 100 peer-reviewed publications
- Awarded over £50 million as PI or Co-I on 92 grants
Professor Paul Boyle is President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Leicester. Previously, Chief Executive of the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), the UK’s largest funding agency for social science research; the International Champion of Research Councils UK, with responsibility for international strategy on behalf of all seven UK research councils; and President of Science Europe, representing over 50 European funding agencies. He is a Fellow of the British Academy, The Royal Society of Edinburgh, the Academy of Social Sciences, and the Royal Geographical Society of Scotland.
Before joining the ESRC, he was Head of the School of Geography and Geosciences at the University of St Andrews, publishing widely in Demography and Epidemiology. He was Director of the ESRC Longitudinal Studies Centre – Scotland, Co-Director of the ESRC Centre for Population Change, and Co-Investigator on the Wellcome Trust Scottish Health Informatics Programme. Scottish Health Informatics Programme. He was Founding Director of the Social Dimensions of Health Institute, a joint collaboration between the Universities of Dundee and St Andrews.
Professor Boyle is Chair of the Scottish Science Advisory Council, which is Scotland’s highest level science advisory body; a Board Member of Universities UK, who provide leadership and support to executive heads of 133 UK University institutions as well as Chair of their Research Policy Network; and a Council Member and Trustee of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, which has over 500 member institutions in 37 Commonwealth countries. In April 2017 Professor Boyle was elected as a Board member of the European Universities Association.
Professor Paul Boyle is an ‘impact champion’ for the United Nations HeForShe global solidarity movement for gender equality; Chair of the Q-Step Strategy Board, promoting quantitative social science training in the UK; on the All-Party Parliamentary University Group Council, which provides a forum for parliamentarians and University vice-chancellors; on the Advisory Board of the UPP Foundation; and the Advisory Board of Sporting Equals, promoting ethnic diversity in sport and physical activity.
Education and Awards
- 2014 Honorary DSc, Lancaster University
- 2013 Fellow, British Academy (FBA)
- 2007 Work-Family Academic Leader, Alfred Sloan Foundation, US
- 2006 Fellow, Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE)
- 2003-present Honorary Professor, University of Dundee
- 1987-1991 PhD Geography, Lancaster University, England, UK
- 1984-1985 University of Colorado, Boulder, USA
- 1983-86 BA(Hons) Geography, Lancaster University, England, UK