Enterprise Strategy Policy and Performance Committee
Terms of Reference and Membership 2016-2017
Oversight of matters related to enterprise strategy, policy and performance at the University.
- To consider and approve the Institutional Enterprise Strategy for incorporation within the University’s Strategic Plan and Annual Budget.
- To monitor the implementation of the Institutional Enterprise Strategy.
- To have an overview of College enterprise strategies and to promote integration, coordination and interaction between them.
- To monitor the enterprise performance of the Colleges, to coordinate and integrate enterprise activity in the Colleges and determine and agree appropriate actions to be taken by the Colleges in respect of future enterprise activities.
- To determine institutional policy in respect of preparations for external assessment and evaluation of University enterprise activities.
- To consider opportunities for proactively increasing enterprise income at institutional and College level and offer advice on the University’s bids for funding in line with the Enterprise Strategy.
- To consider institution-wide issues and appropriate institutional responses relating to externally funded and unfunded enterprise programmes and initiatives.
- To determine the appropriate allocation of such resources as are available from time to time.
- To promote and monitor the commercialisation of research and knowledge transfer, including business partnerships, technology licences, spin-out companies and consultancies.
- To identify, promote, disseminate and celebrate good practice in knowledge transfer and business engagement activities.
- To refer any relevant matters to Research Strategy, Policy and Performance Committee, the Academic Policy Committee or the Career Development Advisory Board.
- To consider, record and address the potential equal opportunity impacts of decisions made by the Committee (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
Constitution and Membership 2016-17
- The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research and Enterprise) (Chair) (Professor I Gillespie)
- The Director of Research and Enterprise (Vacant)
- The Director of Commercialisation (Dr Sharon Spencer)
- The Director of Finance (Mr M Riddleston)
- The Graduate Dean (Professor H Atkinson)
- Two members of academic staff from each of the Colleges, appointed by the Senate on the recommendation of the relevant Head of College:
- Dr W Green (until 31.7.2018), Dr C Morgner (until 31.7.2018) (SSAH)
- Professor M Carr (until 31.7.2017), Dr C Pullar (until 31.7.2018) (MBSP)
- Professor A Abbott (until 31.7.2019), Dr S Reiff-Marganiec (until 31.7.2018)
- One lay member of Council, appointed by the Nominations Committee (Mr G Dixon, until 31 July 2018)
- A postgraduate research student representative (Vacant)
- Other members of staff, whom the Committee may wish to co-opt (vacancies)
- The Precision Medicine Institute Commercial Director (Dr Alaistair Gaw)
Duration of appointment
- Members appointed under, a) to e) are ex-officio.
- Members appointed under f) and g) shall serve for three years in the first instance, renewable, but maximum length of service is normally six years.
- Members appointed under h) and i) shall serve for one year in the first instance, renewable annually, but maximum length of service is normally three years.
Normally in attendance at meetings
Associate Director (Strategy and Operations) and Head of Knowledge Exchange (Dr N Cozier)
Associate Director (Strategy and Operations) and Head of Knowledge Exchange (Dr N Cozier), Research and Enterprise Division
Frequency of meetings
The Committee will normally meet at least three times in each academic year
7 members, including at least 3 ex-officio members
- College Enterprise Committees
- Leicester Innovation Advisory Board