Health and Safety Committee
Constitution and Membership 2016-17
On behalf of Council, the Committee is responsible for the implementation and monitoring of all aspects of agreed University policy and practice on health and safety. It also considers how any changes in the legislative framework or recognized good practice on health and safety might have an impact on the University’s policies and procedures in this area, and operates as the formal consultative body for health and safety matters with both management and union representatives.
- To be responsible for:
- the identification of likely changes in the legislative framework or recognised good practice on health and safety that would impact on the University’s Health and Safety policies and procedures;
- the approval of changes to the University’s Health and Safety policies;
- monitoring the implementation of all aspects of agreed University policy on health and safety;
- the supervision of a regular series of audits and reviews of safety practice and procedure in the University.
- To receive:
- reports from the specialist sub-committees:
- Biological and Chemical Hazards sub-Committee;
- Fire-Safety sub-Committee;
- Physical Hazards sub-Committee;
- Radiation Protection sub-Committee;
- lists of departmental health and safety inspections.
- To consider and record the potential equal opportunity impacts on decisions made by the Committee (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
- To report to Council at least three times a year.
Constitution and membership 2016-17
- The Registrar and Chief Operating Officer (Chair) (Mr D Hall)
- The Director of Safety Services (Mr M Haynes-Coote)
- The Chairs of the four Health and Safety Sub-Committees
- Biological and Chemical Hazards (Professor P Cullis)
- Fire Safety (Ms C Taylor)
- Physical Hazards (Vacancy)
- Radiation Protection (Professor I Eperon)
- The Director of Estates (Mr I Barker)
- The Director of Campus Services (Ms K Woodward)
- Health and Well-being Lead (Ms N Junkin)
- One lay member of Council (Mr P Lawson DL, due to expire on 31 July 2017)
- One member of clinical academic staff appointed by Senate (vacancy)
- One representative from the Colleges (Mrs P Jackson, due to expire on 31 July 2017)
- Two Representatives from UCU (Dr M Mulleran, Mr A Norman)
- Two Representatives from UNITE (Ms S Hendy, Mrs M Gunning)
- Two Representatives from UNISON (Mr G Warden, Mr W Pearson)
- One Representative from the Students’ Union (Ms Harriet Smailes)
Duration of appointment
a) to f) are ex-officio. Members appointed under g)-m) shall serve for up 3 years, renewable.
Estates and Facilities Management Division (Ms K Bignold)
Frequency of meetings
The Committee will normally meet at least three times in each academic year.
Seven, including at least three trade union representatives.