Equality and Diversity Committee
Terms of Reference and Membership 2016-17
On behalf of Council, to maintain oversight of and provide advice on matters relating to Equalities and Diversities.
- To frame and recommend appropriate policies for the University in areas pertaining to equal opportunities.
- To establish appropriate structures through which equal opportunities policies may be implemented.
- To monitor and implement equal opportunities policies and activities, including the regular review of relevant data.
- To review equal opportunities policies and their operation regularly, and make appropriate changes.
- To develop and implement the setting up such sub-committees or working groups from time to time as may be appropriate.
- To consider and record the potential equal opportunity impacts on decisions made by the Committee (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
- To consider and record potential equality impacts of decisions made by the University (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
Constitution and Membership
- a senior member of staff, who shall be designated by the President and Vice-Chancellor as Chair (Dr Kate Williams, Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Equality & Diversity)
- a lay member of Council, nominated by Council (Dr Vijay Sharma)
- all four College and Professional Services Equality and Diversity Chairs:
- Vacancy, College of Medicine, Biological Sciences and Psychology
- Professor Paul Cullis, College of Science and Engineering
- Dr Eugenia Caracciolo Di Torella and Dr Emma Parker (Deputy), College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities
- Ms Jo Aitkins, Professional Services
- one member from each of the three recognised trade unions, to be nominated by the relevant union committee:
- Mrs Rashida Vora, UCU Representative
- Mr Will Pearson, UNISON Representative
- Mrs Sulina Hendy, UNITE Representative
- the Wellbeing Officer of the Students’ Union (Miss Harriet Smailes)
Duration of Appointment
(a), (b) and (e) are ex-officio. Members appointed under (b) and (d) shall serve for three years and shall be retired for at least one year before being eligible for re-appointment.
- The Equalities Adviser (Mrs Humaa Noori)
- The Equalities Project Officer (Mr Simon Edwards)
- Director of Human Resources or their nominated representatives (Ms Kate Bradley)
- The Academic Registrar or their nominated representatives (Ms Bev Ireland)
- Director of Student Experience Division or their nominated representatives (Ms Gill McIntyre)
Equalities Team, Human Resources
Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will normally meet 4 times in each academic year.
The quorum for the core Committee is 4 members.