Council Advisory Committee
Terms of Reference and Membership 2016-17
The role of the Council Advisory Committee (CAC) is to discuss from an early stage, monitor the subsequent development of, and recommend for approval by Council the University’s corporate strategy and supporting strategies; and to monitor the achievement of the University’s strategic objectives through appropriate systems of institutional performance monitoring and risk management.
The Committee is responsible to Council for:
- Advising on and recommending for approval by Council the University’s corporate strategy and relevant supporting strategies, embracing all aspects of short, medium and long term planning.
- Monitoring and advising on the alignment of all aspects of University strategy and policy in relation to academic, financial, estates, information technology, and human resource planning.
- Ensuring the development and implementation of appropriate systems of institutional performance monitoring and relevant KPIs, using these to monitor the University’s progress towards achievement of its strategic objectives and institutional targets, and highlighting any concerns with the University’s performance that this may reveal.
- Ensuring that risk is appropriately integrated into strategic planning, and monitoring those strategic risks that are relevant to the work of the Committee as determined by the Corporate Strategic Risk Register.
- Keeping under review the systems of management and accountability within the University and making recommendations to Council as required on matters of substance or principle.
- Keeping under review the policies of the University as an employer of staff and making recommendations to Council as required on matters of substance or principle.
- Considering, recording and addressing the potential equal opportunity impacts of decisions made by the Committee (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
Constitution and Membership 2016-17 (end dates in brackets, where applicable)
- The Chair of Council (Chair) (Dr B Towle)
- The Treasurer (Mr D Moore)
- The President and Vice-Chancellor (Professor P Boyle)
- The Provost (Professor M Peel)
- The Registrar and Chief Operating Officer (Mr D Hall)
- The Director of Finance (Mr M Riddleston)
- The President of the Students’ Union (Ms R Holland)
- Three other lay members of Council, appointed on behalf of Council by the Nominations Committee:
- Mr P Lawson (2018)
- Mr A Morgan (2018)
- Dr N Reed (2017)
Duration of appointment
Members appointed under a). to g). are ex-officio. Members appointed under h). shall serve for three years in the first instance and shall be eligible for re-appointment, but the maximum length of service shall normally be six years.
Frequency of meetings
The Committee will normally meet six times in each academic year (two meetings per term).
Four members, including at least one lay member of Council