Terms of Reference and Membership 2017-2018
To oversee and promote best practice in all aspects of the University’s provision for postgraduate research students.
- To develop, promote and monitor the implementation of postgraduate research student policies and regulations.
- To work with Colleges to develop a Doctoral College postgraduate research strategy.
- To develop and monitor research training strategy for research students.
- To provide support to new initiatives and offer advice on funding bids for research students.
- To develop and monitor policies on supervisory practice and provide support to training events for supervisors.
- To monitor submission and qualification rates for research students.
- To promote and disseminate best practice relating to doctoral studies.
- To develop and monitor policies for research students undertaking teaching and demonstrating duties within the University, including Graduate Teaching/Research Assistants.
- To consider, support, and advise on the performance of Doctoral Training Partnerships, Centres for Doctoral Training, and other equivalent schemes in which the University is a partner.
- To consider, record and address the potential equal opportunity impacts of decisions made by the Committee (in accordance with the due regard provision of the Equality Act 2010).
Constitution and Membership 2017-18
a) The Director of the Doctoral College (Chair) (Professor D Lambert)
b) The Director of Postgraduate Research from the College of Life Sciences (Professor Don Jones)
c) The Director of Postgraduate Research from the College of Science and Engineering (Dr Csaba Sinka)
d) The Co-Directors of Postgraduate Research from the College of Social Science, Arts and Humanities (Mr T Cole, Dr D Papadopoulos)
e) The Deputy Academic Registrar (Quality and Standards) (Mrs L Masterman)
f) Head of Researcher Development, Research Support Services (Dr M Warrier)
g) A member of the University Library senior management team (nominated by the University Librarian) (Mr N Donohue)
h) A member of the Doctoral Training Partnerships/Centres for Doctoral Training Steering Group (nominated by the Doctoral Training Partnership/Centre for Doctoral Training academic leaders) (Dr Jonathan McDearmid)
i) One research student representative from the College of Life Sciences (Mr Ben Richards); One research student representative from the College of Science and Engineering (Mr James Norris);
Two research student representatives from the College of Social Science, Arts and Humanities (Ms A George, Ms Ana Liza Kyprianou Spiliakou)
Duration of appointment
Members appointed under (a) to (g) are ex-officio. Members appointed under (h) shall serve for 3 years, renewable, but maximum length of service is normally 6 years. Members appointed under (i) normally serve for 1 year.
Frequency of meetings
The Committee will normally meet at least six times in each academic year.