Honorary Degrees Board
Terms of Reference and Membership 2019-2020
To approve or reject nominations for Honorary Degrees and Distinguished Honorary Fellowships; to ensure that appropriate awards are given.
1) To consider nominations for Honorary Degrees and Distinguished Honorary Fellowships.
2) To recommend nominations for Honorary Degrees and Distinguished Honorary Fellowships to Senate and Council.
3) To consider, record and address the potential equal opportunity impacts of decisions made by the Board (in accordance with the ’due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
The Board reports to Senate and Council in the form of reports following meetings, usually once per annum.
Constitution and Membership
The constitution of the Board is as follows:
a) The President and Vice-Chancellor (Chair)
b) The Chair of Council
c) The Treasurer
d) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (International) – position currently in abeyance
e) The Heads of College
f) The Professor of Public Engagement
g) The Public Orators
h) The Chairs of the Equality Action Groups
i) The President of the Students’ Union
j) The Registrar and Chief Operating Officer
All appointments are ex-officio and will sit on the Board for the duration of their appointment in their substantive post.
Formally provided by the Registrar and Secretary, but delegated to the Assistant Secretary (Governance Office).
Frequency of Meetings
Meetings normally occur once per annum, usually in the autumn term, with a further meeting taking place in the spring term if required.
The quorum for the Board is 5 members.
The Terms of Reference are reviewed at the start of each academic year.
a. The President and Vice-Chancellor (Chair): Nishan Canagarajah
b. The Chair of Council: Gary Dixon
c. The Treasurer: Ian Johnson
d. The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (International): position currently in abeyance
e. The Heads of College:
1. Philip Baker
2. Paul Monks
3. Henrietta O'Connor
f. The Professor of Public Engagement: Turi King
g. The Public Orators:
1. Paul Jenkins
2. Graham Shipley
3. Nigel Siesage
h. The Chairs of the Equality Action Groups
1. Disability Action Group: Martin Mahaut-Smith
2. Gender Equality Action Group: Pascale Lorber
3. LGBT Action Group: David Clarke
4. Race Equality Action Group: Neil Chakraborti
i. The President of the Students’ Union: Oge Obioha
j. The Registrar and Chief Operating Officer: Dave Hall
Secretariat – Governance Office (Alison Benson)