Enterprise Strategy Policy and Performance Committee
Terms of Reference and Membership 2017-2018
Oversight of matters related to enterprise strategy, policy and performance at the University.
- To consider and approve the Institutional Enterprise Strategy for incorporation within the University’s Strategic Plan and Annual Budget.
- To monitor the implementation of the Institutional Enterprise Strategy.
- To embed a culture of enterprise within the University, by encouraging and promoting enterprise education and training.
- To develop and monitor the strategic coherence and alignment of the University’s enterprise ecosystem.
- To promote integration, coordination and interaction between College enterprise strategies.
- To monitor the enterprise performance of the Colleges, to coordinate and integrate enterprise activity in the Colleges and determine and agree appropriate actions to be taken by the Colleges in respect of future enterprise activities.
- To determine institutional policy in respect of preparations for external assessment and evaluation of University enterprise activities.
- To consider opportunities for proactively increasing enterprise income at institutional and College level and offer advice on the University’s bids for funding in line with the Enterprise Strategy.
- To consider institution-wide issues and appropriate institutional responses relating to externally funded and unfunded enterprise programmes and initiatives.
- To determine the appropriate allocation of such resources as are available from time to time.
- To promote and monitor the commercialisation of research and knowledge transfer, including business partnerships, technology licences, spin-out companies and consultancies.
- To identify, promote, disseminate and celebrate good practice in knowledge transfer and business engagement activities.
- To refer any relevant matters to Research Strategy, Policy and Performance Committee, the Academic Policy Committee or the Career Development Advisory Board.
- To consider, record and address the potential equal opportunity impacts of decisions made by the Committee (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
Constitution and Membership 2017-18
a. The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research and Enterprise) (Chair) (Iain Gillespie)
b. The Director of Research and Enterprise (Alasdair Gaw)
c. The Director of Commercialisation (Sharon Spencer)
d. The Director of Finance (Martyn Riddleston)
e. The Director of Business Development (Alasdair Gaw)
f. The Director of the Doctoral College (Dave Lambert)
g. Two members of academic staff from each of the Colleges, appointed by the Senate on the recommendation of the relevant Head of College:
1. Will Green (until 31.7.2018), Helen Goworek (until 31.7.2020) (CSSAH)
2. Christine Pullar (until 31.7.2018), (Jacqui Shaw (interim, initially until 31.7.2018) (CLS)
3. Andy Abbott (until 31.7.2019), Roland Leigh (until 31.7.2020) (CSE)
h. One lay member of Council, appointed by the Nominations Committee (vacant)
i. A postgraduate research student representative (Bosun Tijani)
j. Other members of staff, whom the Committee may wish to co-opt (vacancies)
Duration of appointment
- Members appointed under, a) to f) are ex-officio.
- Members appointed under g) and h) shall serve for three years in the first instance, renewable, but maximum length of service is normally six years.
- Members appointed under i) and j) shall serve for one year in the first instance, renewable annually, but maximum length of service is normally three years.
Normally in attendance at meetings
a. Director of Leicester Innovation Hub (Stephan Reiff-Marganiec)
b. Heads of Research and Enterprise Partnerships, Research and Enterprise Division
1. Clare Hudson (CSSAH)
2. Lucy Alexander (CLS)
3. William Wells (CSE)
c. Head of Regional Engagement (Anjuu Trevedi)
d. Research and Enterprise Division Secretariat (Angharad Roberts)
Research and Enterprise Division Secretariat (Angharad Roberts)
Frequency of meetings
The Committee will normally meet at least three times in each academic year
7 members, including at least 3 ex-officio members
- College Enterprise Committees
- Leicester Innovation Advisory Board