Learning and Teaching Committee
Terms of Reference and Membership 2018-19
To oversee the continuous development and implementation of the University’s Learning Strategy, and the underpinning institutional regulatory and policy framework.
- To formulate, continuously develop and enhance the Learning Strategy, embedding excellence and ensuring articulation with the University’s wider Strategic Plan.
- To monitor the Strategic Implementation Plan for the Learning Strategy, set targets and key performance indicators and monitor progress against these.
- To identify key strategic risks and mitigate risks to the effective implementation of the Strategy, recommending areas for management action.
- To review and approve aligned strategies such as the University’s Learning Spaces Strategy and Assessment Strategy.
- To consider amendments to Senate Regulations for submission to Senate for approval.
- To approve, monitor and review University level policy and procedure, and academic codes of practice relating to learning, teaching, assessment and quality assurance for taught programmes.
- To oversee strategic alignment of learning and teaching activities with wider student life activities, to ensure delivery of a coordinated and integrated student experience.
- To provide reports to Senate regarding the operation of academic quality assurance processes and the management of academic risk within the institution, to feed into the Annual Assurances given by Council.
- To provide strategic oversight and governance of the University’s ongoing registration as an Approved Provider with the Office for Students, ensuring that all associated compliance requirements are met.
- To monitor relevant internal and external development to inform future strategy and policy, and making recommendations as appropriate to Senate.
- To receive reports from other bodies within its sub-structure, considering enhancement opportunities and providing feedback, ensuring a continuous improvement approach to quality enhancement across the University.
- To have due regard to the student interest in all consideration and decision making.
- To consider, record and address the potential equal opportunity impacts of decisions made by the Committee (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Students) (Chair): Professor Jon Scott - Ex officio
- Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Digital): Professor Ross Parry - Ex officio
- The College Directors of Learning and Teaching:
- Professor Bob Norman (CLS) - Ex officio
- Dr Sandeep Handa (CSE) - Ex officio
- Professor Roger Dickinson (CSSAH) - Ex officio
- Dean of Students: Dr Mark Rawlinson - Ex officio
- Academic Registrar: Mr Geoff Green - Ex officio
- University Librarian: Ms Caroline Taylor - Ex officio
- Director of Leicester Learning Institute: Dr Frances Deepwell - Ex officio
- Director of Education Excellence: Professor Graham Wynn - Ex officio
- Lay member of Council (appointed by Nominations Committee): Ms Mehmooda Duke - 3 years, and can be renewed for one further term
- Students’ Union (SU) Education Officer: Ms Azza Abdulla - 1 year, which may be renewed should the post-holder be re-elected
- Students’ Union representative, nominated by the SU: To be confirmed following elections in October 2018 - 1 year, which may be renewed should the post-holder be re-elected
- Two hour meetings every second month
- Annual away day
- Quorum: 50% of the membership
Receives reports from
- Admissions and Widening Participation Sub Committee
- Quality and Standards Sub-Committee
- Student Partnerships Sub-Committee
- College Learning & Teaching Committees
- University Portfolio Management Group as required*
- Competition and Markets Authority Steering Group as required*
*sit outside the governance structure