Health and Safety Committee
Terms of Reference and Membership 2018-19
The University Health and Safety Committee is established as the organisational custodian of the University of Leicester Health and Safety Management Strategy and policies. The Committee exists to provide guidance and reassurance to all university stakeholders in relation to the health and safety management arrangements established to manage our key risks and activities.
It is important to note that the Committee does not merely exist as a consultative forum, but is established to ensure that significant actions are identified, resourced and implemented in such a way as the university can demonstrate that health and safety is being effectively managed as a strategic priority.
Attendees at committee are expected to add value to the process and contribute to the outputs produced as a result of the Committee’s activities.
To be responsible for:
- Ownership of the University Health and Safety Strategy (3 Year) and ensuring it is adequately resourced and implemented at all levels of the university.
- Development of annual Health and Safety Work Activity Plan to ensure Health and Safety Strategy is delivered in line with agreed timelines.
- Ensuring Health and Safety Strategy is actively engaged and embedded in all areas of the University’s undertakings. The supervision of a regular series of audits and reviews of safety practice and procedure in the University.
- Examining the level of competence and resource allocated to health and safety across University activities.
- Identifying key risks associated with University activities and reviewing the arrangements in place for managing these risks.
- Receiving and reviewing reports resulting from accidents and incidents, and assessing any corrective or remedial actions implemented to prevent a recurrence.
- Reviewing University management arrangements against any legislative changes or as a result of major incidents elsewhere (e.g. Grenfell Tower).
- Considering reports arising from audit and monitoring activities, and agreeing any necessary corrective actions.
- Ensuring active engagement with all relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Considering the response to any third party or enforcement interventions (HSE, Local Authority), and review any actions taken as a result.
- Considering health, safety and welfare matters raised by members of the university community and assess their implications for the organisation.
- Ensuring roles, responsibilities and accountabilities for health and safety are clearly documented and agreed
- Ensuring the Health and Safety sub committees are structured, resourced and report in a manner consistent with the University Health and Safety Strategy.
Measures and Outputs
- Health and Safety Strategy
- Annual Health and Safety Work Plan
- Reports submitted by Committee members
- A report from each of the Colleges
- Estates and Campus Services
- Occupational Health
- Safety Services
- Annual review of Health and Safety Competence and Training Plan
- Risk Register review and report by exception
- Audit and Monitoring Reports submitted by Safety Services.
- Annual review of roles and responsibilities
- Sub-Committee minutes
- Dave Hall, The Registrar and Chief Operating Officer (Chair)
- Brita Sread, The Director of Estates and Campus Services
- Mike Haynes-Coote, The Director of Safety Services
- Martin Miller, Head of Campus Services Operations
- Rebecca Draper, Director of Operations, College of Life Sciences
- Penny Jackson, Director of Operations, College of Science and Engineering
- Ruth Daly, Director of Operations, College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities
- Paul Cullis, Chair of Biological and Chemical Hazards Sub Committee
- Caroline Taylor, Chair of Fire Safety Sub Committee
- Ian Eperon, Chair of Radiation Protection Sub Committee
- Nicola Junkin, University Health and Well-being Lead
- Cathy Howells, Occupational Health Manager
- Oge Obioha, The Students’ Union Wellbeing Officer
- Anil Majithia, One lay member of Council Appointed by Council (2020)
- Peter Bradding, One member of clinical academic staff – Appointed by the Medical School (2019)
- Mike Mulheran, Andrew Norman, Two Representatives from UCU
- Maxine Gunning, Sulina Hendy, Two Representatives from UNITE
- Bill Hassan, Marcin Idaszak, Two Representatives from UNISON
Duration of appointment
a-n are ex-officio. Members appointed under o-s shall serve for up 3 years renewable.
Karen Bignold, Estates and Campus Services
Frequency of meetings
The Committee will normally meet at least four times in each academic year.
Seven, including at least three trade union representatives.