Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Terms of Reference and Membership 2018-19
On behalf of Council, to maintain oversight of and provide advice on matters relating to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
- To support the Council in executing the University Strategic Plan by taking account of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in all its activity.
- To provide leadership on the University Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and to monitor and review performance by implementing institutional action plans to ensure that policies are translated into clear programmes of action.
- Support Equality Action Groups to deliver activity on specific aspects of equality, diversity and inclusion commissioning and receiving reports on activity.
- Consider and record the potential equality, diversity and inclusion impacts on decisions made by the Committee and the University (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
- Contribute to the development of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policies and procedures and ensure that they are effectively disseminated and promoted.
- Ensure appropriate consultation and communication with all relevant groups in the University on issues of equality, diversity and inclusion.
Committee members play a vital role in the oversight of the Universities Equality activities. Members are responsible for:
- Sharing their views and expertise with the Committee to ensure informed recommendations are made
- Undertaking relevant actions
- Communicating and embedding equality, diversity and inclusion practices in their Colleges/areas
- Contributing to relevant sub groups
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of equality, diversity and inclusion issues
- Shaping organisational and cultural change
Council, as appropriate.
Constitution and Membership
a) a senior member of staff, who shall be designated by the President and Vice-Chancellor as Chair (Henrietta O'Connor, Head of College of Social Sciences, Art and Humanities)
b) a lay member of Council, nominated by Council (Vijay Sharma)
c) all four College and Professional Services Equality, Diversity and Inclusion portfolio holders:
- Phil Baker, College of Life Sciences
- Andrew Ellis, College of Science and Engineering
- Kaitlynn Mendes, College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities
- Liz Bailey, Professional Services
d) all four Equality Action Group Leads:
- Neil Chakraborti and Corinne Fowler, Race Equality Action Group Chair
- Dave Clarke, LGBT Action Group Chair
- Martyn Mahaut-Smith, Disability Action Group Chair
- Henrietta O'Connor, Gender Equality Action Group Chair
e) Staff fora Representative (rotated)
f) one member from each of the three recognised trade unions, to be nominated by the relevant union committee:
- Rashida Vora and Helen Eborall, UCU Representative
- Hamzah Alsabur, UNISON Representative
- Sulina Hendy, UNITE Representative
g) Students’ Union Representative (Oge Obioha)
Duration of Appointment
(a), (b), (c) and (e) are ex-officio. Members appointed under (d), (e), (f) and (g) shall serve for up to three years and shall be retired for at least one year before being eligible for re-appointment.
a) The Head of EDI (Angie Pears)
b) Director of Human Resources or their nominated representatives (Kate Bradley)
c) The Academic Registrar or their nominated representatives (Becky Johnson)
d) Head of Student Support Services or their nominated representatives (Claire Heggs)
e) The Staff Health and Wellbeing Lead (Nicola Junkin)
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team, Human Resources
Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will normally meet 3 times in each academic year.
The quorum for the core Committee is 4 members.