Terms of Reference and Membership 2017-18
The principal role of the Council Advisory Committee (CAC) is to discuss from an early stage, monitor the subsequent development of, and then recommend for approval by Council, the University’s corporate strategy and supporting strategies.
- To consider from an early stage and to provide advice and feedback, and recommendations to Council where appropriate, on relevant matters in the development and delivery of the University’s corporate strategy and relevant supporting strategies, embracing all aspects of short, medium and long term planning.
- To provide advice and feedback, and recommendations to Council where appropriate, on the alignment of the University’s corporate strategy with its relevant supporting strategies, particularly in relation to financial, estates, information technology and human resource planning.
- To ensure the development and implementation of appropriate systems of institutional performance monitoring, and to consider any significant concerns with the University’s performance that this may reveal.
- To ensure that risk is appropriately integrated into strategic planning, and to monitor any such strategic risks that are relevant to the work of the Committee as may be identified by the Corporate Strategic Risk Register.
- At the request of Council, to review the systems of management and accountability within the University and to make recommendations to Council as required on matters of substance or principle.
- At the request of Council, to review the policies of the University as an employer of staff and to make recommendations to Council as required on matters of substance or principle.
- To consider, record and address the potential equal opportunity impacts of any decisions made by the Committee (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
Constitution and Membership (end dates in brackets, where applicable)
a). The Chair of Council (Chair)
b). The Treasurer
c). The President and Vice-Chancellor
d). The Deputy Vice-Chancellor
e). The Registrar and Chief Operating Officer
f). The Director of Finance
g). The President of the Students’ Union
h). Four other lay members of Council, appointed on behalf of Council by the Nominations Committee:
Mehmooda Duke (2020)
Martin Hindle (2020)
Ian Johnson (2020)
Andrew Morgan (2018)
Duration of appointment
Members appointed under a). to g). are ex-officio. Members appointed under h). shall serve for three years in the first instance and shall be eligible for re-appointment, but the maximum length of service shall normally be six years.
Assistant Secretary to Council.
Frequency of meetings
The Committee will meet, if required, on up to six occasions in each academic year (two meetings per term).
Four members, including at least two lay members of Council.