Facts and Figures
The University of Leicester is a leading UK University committed to international excellence through the creation of world changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching. Leicester is consistently one of the most socially inclusive of the UK’s leading universities with a long-standing commitment to providing fairer and equal access to higher education.
- 25th in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide
- 32nd in the Complete University Guide
- 47th in the Guardian University Guide
- Leicester was named runner-up University of the Year in the Times/Sunday Times University Guide 2014.
- Leicester is ranked in the top 100 of the world’s most international universities by Times Higher Education (THE), achieving 72nd position in THE’s prestigious Top 100 List.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
We are ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world by Times Higher Education (THE).
QS World University Rankings
Leicester is ranked in the top 2% of universities in the world by the QS World University Rankings and rated 5 stars for excellence.
Leicester is ranked in the top 25 universities in the Times Higher Education REF Research Power rankings. The Power ranking takes into account both the quality of research and the number of research-active staff who made REF returns. Research power is important because it gives a strong indication of a combination of world-class research, international impact, critical mass and sustainability.
75% of our research was judged to be internationally excellent with wide-ranging impacts on society, health culture,and the environment. That Leicester also entered a substantial proportion of academics - 84% - to the REF demonstrates that our academics are continuing to develop and build upon our world-leading research.
- The Association of Graduate Recruiters have recognised the University of Leicester as the best institution in the UK with the best initiative to prepare students for the world of work.
- The University has won Times Higher Awards in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and most recently in 2013 for Outstanding Communications Team and Outstanding Fundraising Initiative. It is the only university to win awards in seven consecutive years.
- Leicester has been awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education on three occasions - the highest form of national recognition open to a UK academic or vocational institution.
- In August 2015, HSBC announced for the second year running that the University of Leicester is the most affordable destination in Britain for both first and second-year students, according to their research.
- In 2013 our Students' Union was named HE Students' Union of the Year in the NUS Awards.
Athena SWAN Award
University of Leicester is committed to promoting equality for women in academia. In 2006, we signed up to the Athena SWAN charter for women in science. In 2008 we were awarded with a bronze Athena SWAN award and this was renewed in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Health Sciences achieved a University first by being granted a Silver award in 2013.
Athena SWAN (Scientific Women's Academic Network), is a UK programme that celebrates recognition and commitment to advancing women’s careers in Science, Technology, engineering, maths and medicine in Higher Education and research. Find out more about the award on the Athena SWAN website.
Stonewall Diversity Champion
The University is a member of the Stonewall Diversity Champions programme, with the principle aim of ensuring that lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) employees are supported in the working environment, and as a public declaration of our support for LGB equality and inclusion. The University has been a member of the Diversity Champions programme since 2013.
Leicester is the first university in UK to receive Coeliac UK accreditation. Coeliac UK audited the University's kitchens and confirmed that, as a result, it had decided to award its gluten-free accreditation to Leicester, making it the first UK university to receive this accolade.