Public Relations: Culture and Society
Module code: MS7078
This module will introduce you to the field of public relations, exploring its origins, history and definitions. It provides a theoretical framework for analysing public relations and seeks to contextualise public relations as an academic discipline; this in turn will help you to better understand the structures of public relations in practice and public relations as a social or cultural phenomenon.
The module explores critical approaches to public relations management and organisation, assessing how public relations function in media contexts, and examines its wider impact on democracy. Finally, the module explores the ways in which public relations practitioners construct the audiences they seek to communicate with.
- The history of public relations
- Management oriented theories
- Critical theories
- Rhetorical theories
- Public relations and democracy
- Public relations and culture
- 22 hours of lectures
- 22 hours of seminars
- 6 hours of practical classes and workshops
- 250 hours of guided independent study
- Essay, 3,000 words (70%)
- Critical reading evaluation, 2,000 words (30%)