MSc Laboratory Research Project in Chronic Disease and Immunity
Module code: MB7316
This module provides the opportunity to gain highly valuable laboratory work by undertaking a 6 month research project placement within the Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, or a research laboratory within the College. You can choose a research project that is in line with your interests from a pool of submitted outlines after meeting with potential supervisors.
During this placement you will present a written synopsis of the background to a research project and develop a series of different molecular and cell biology experimental approaches to investigate a research problem relevant to chronic disease and inflammation. Alongside enhancing your research and analysis skills, this module will equip you the transferable skills that will be beneficial for your future.
- How to present a written synopsis
- Experimental design and the importance and nature of controls
- Data analysis
- How to extract principal findings and present them in a logical and coherent way
- 20 hours of seminars
- 20 hours of project supervision
- 730 hours of supervised laboratory research
- 430 of independent study
- Dissertation, 15,000 words (55%)
- Research poster (10%)
- Lab performance assessment (35%)