First Year Tutorials
Module code: GL1100
We believe that students benefit significantly from small group teaching, which has been shown to improve retention of information, enhance critical thinking skills, and consolidate learning. Because of this, we will assign you and a half a dozen others your own tutor, and you will all meet once a fortnight for a group tutorial. You’ll maintain the same tutor throughout your time in Leicester, enabling you to build up a strong relationship.
There will be some prescribed pieces of work, but your tutor will also suggest things to do depending on your discussions. Plus, if there’s a topic you’d like to spend a bit more time on, you can ask them to run a tutorial on it.
Also, other members of staff, both from the Department and the Library, will take sessions aimed at helping you to improve your study skills. Plus, there will be talks from visiting academics, which will help to keep you up to date with current trends in geology, and people who work in industry, which will give you an idea of your options once you graduate.
Topics coveredAs part of this module you will:
- Learn how to write reports using a high standard of written English
- Critically use information from books, journals and internet-based sources
- Manipulate data and present this in a suitable manner using Excel
- Prepare and give an effective presentation using Powerpoint
- Continually review your personal skills enabling you to build on these throughout your time in Leicester
- 5 hours of lectures
- 12 hours of seminars
- 4 hours of practical classes and workshops
- 10 hours of tutorials
- 8 hours of fieldwork
- 111 hours of guided independent study
- Presentation (30%)
- Report (70%)