Module code: EN7505
This module aims to introduce you to some basic considerations in Language Teacher Education. The aim is to provide you with some guiding principles that can offer a foundation for becoming a language teacher educator. The key to teacher education is considered to be the bringing together of theory (abstract, de-contextualised, collective thought) with practice (individual, contextually bound, constrained action) in a productive conversation.
- Introduction to teacher education
- Models and approaches to teacher education
- Teacher cognition
- Designing a teacher education programme
- Activities for teacher education
- Supervision, mentoring and giving feedback on observed teaching practice
- Approaches to ongoing teacher development
- 5 hours of lectures
- 10 hours of seminars
- 2 hours of tutorials
- 5 hours of project supervision
- 128 hours of guided independent study
- Assignment, 3,000 word essay (100%)
With the prior agreement of the module leader(s) the assessment for two option modules may be combined in a single submission of 6,000 words.