Module code: EG7040
This module will describe advanced procedures for the design of nonlinear controllers for nonlinear systems. There will be a structured series of lectures, laboratory and exercise classes followed by a design study. As in the previous related modules, the software package Matlab and its accompanying tool-boxes will be used extensively.
Development of tools for nonlinear system analysis including:
- the design of feedback linearising controllers
- describing function analysis
- an introduction to passivity theory
Nonlinear control system design methods including:
- the design and inherent advantages of variable structure control systems
- sliding mode control theory and an assessment of its inherent robustness properties
- constructive Lyapunov design methods
Case studies will include the development of nonlinear controllers for a two link robot manipulator and various electric motors.
- 22 hours of lectures
- 128 hours of guided independent study
- Exam, two hours (67%)
- Test, one hour (33%)