Young Learners and ELT
Module code: EN7517
This option module looks at the major issues connected with the teaching of young learners and English language teaching. You will have the opportunity to consider a range of relevant educational principles; examine a variety of teaching materials and textbooks; consider classroom teaching and experiences of young children learning; relate approaches and methods for teaching children to the social, cultural and educational context; and explore the value of story-based language teaching.
- Growth of ELT for Young Learners
- Children as language learners
- How children learn a Second Language
- Learning through tasks and topics
- Learning through stories
- Approaches to bilingual education in the UK
- 5 hours of lectures
- 2 hours of tutorials
- 5 hours of project supervision
- 138 hours of guided independent study
- Assignment, 3,000 words (100%)
With the prior agreement of the module leader(s) the assessment for two option modules may be combined in a single submission of 6,000 words.