Sparta and the Greek World
Module code: AH3015
In this module we will treat ancient Sparta in a wide spatial and temporal frame, avoiding the pretence of a seamless narrative—unsupportable given the incomplete evidence—by selecting key aspects from different phases of Spartan history over a long period.
- Kingship and government
- Sparta’s relations with the outside world (e.g. the rest of the Peloponnese, Athens, the Greek colonial milieu, and Persia)
- Landscape change in Sparta’s territory
- Aspects of society and culture: art, literature, religion, gender etc
- The transformation of Sparta into a Roman provincial city.
- 9 two-hour seminars
- one hour of individual supervision on planning coursework
- Presentation, 10–15 minutes (15%)
- Essay, 2,000 words (35%)
- Project, 3,000 words (50%)