FAQs about Tier 4 (student route) visas

Continuing international students (Undergraduate and Postgraduate)

At the moment, there is a temporary concession granted by the Home Office to enable us to continue to sponsor your Tier 4 (student route) visa if you are studying 100% online in the UK. We do not currently know if the Home Office will extend this temporary concession or not.

If the temporary concession is extended, and you are in the UK, you may be able to study online only for Semester One.

If the temporary concession is not extended, and you are in the UK, the terms of your visa means you will have to attend face-to-face teaching on the University campus.

If you are not currently in the UK, hold a Tier 4 (student route) visa, but are unable or unwilling to return to the UK to study in September due to coronavirus, the following applies:

  • you are able to study online only from the country where you are currently living;
  • we would continue to sponsor your Tier 4 (student route) visa so you are able to return to the UK when the travel restrictions are lifted;
  • we will adjust your record to reflect that you are studying remotely in your home country. You must inform us if this changes and you return to the UK.

New international students (Undergraduate and Postgraduate)

If you have already been issued with a CAS but are no longer able, or willing to travel to the UK due to coronavirus, we will amend your record with the Home Office UKVI to say that you are not required to be in the country before January 2021 – this would prevent the issue of a visa on your CAS. This would cover students who change their minds about attending between now and August.

New international students already in the UK on the basis of a previous visa (ie for an international school or college) will be covered by the recent UKVI concession which would allow you to study in the UK on an online only basis, but you will still need to apply for a new Tier 4 (student route) visa to commence study with the University.

Will I be able to get a Tier 4 (student route) visa for this kind of programme?

Yes, you’ll be able to study your course using a Tier 4 (student route) visa. All courses will meet the minimum requirements of UKVI for the purpose of full-time campus-based study in the UK.

Will I still be eligible for the post study work visa?

This scheme is likely to be launched in Summer 2021. The UK Government have not published any further information yet, but this is expected to be available in April 2021.

Will there still be an opportunity to work part time during my studies?

Where your visa permits work you can still do this.

Will there be any COVID-19 health testing as a condition of the Tier 4 (student route) visa?

All new arrivals will need to self-isolate for 14 days.

UK Government advice may change in time for September. The University does not currently have plans to introduce any COVID-19 health testing as part of its admissions or registration processes.

We are not currently aware of any additional UKVI requirements for Tier 4 (student route) visa holders, except 14 day's quarantine applying to all international arrivals into the UK.

Will I need to attend a visa checkpoint?

Yes, all international students will still need to attend a visa checkpoint.

How will I attend the course if visa centres are still closed?

You will need to apply for your Tier 4 (student route) visa once your visa application centre re-opens. Please contact our admissions as soon as possible and we will do everything we can to support you.

We are offering pre-sessional online programmes so you can commence your English online if you would like - to find out about our English language provision email admissions@leicester.ac.uk

I am not allowed to study part time on a tier 4 (student route) visa - will blended learning effect my study visa?

 Yes, you’ll be able to study your course using a Tier 4 (student route) visa - ignite is classed as full-time study.

Can a student meet attendance monitoring requirements?

Yes, the University's attendance monitoring system will be updated to reflect the new blended mode of delivery, and the University will make sure all courses meet the minimum attendance requirements for Tier 4 (student route) visa compliance.

How do I collect my BRP within 10 days if I am in quarantine?

You must usually do this before the vignette sticker in your travel document expires or within 10 days of arriving in the UK, whichever is later. However, the UKVI accept that because of COVID-19 some students will be unable to do this and these students will not be penalised.

Do I need to tell anyone I will be late collecting my BRP if I need to quarantine on arrival?

No, you just need to collect your BRP as soon as possible after your quarantine period. In the meantime, please scan and email your immigration documents (passport and entry clearance) to visas@le.ac.uk when you arrive in the UK so we can update your record in advance of you collecting your BRP.

Am I required to register with the police within 7 days?

You are currently unable to register with the police as the Overseas Visitors Records Office (Police Station) in Leicester is currently closed due to Covid-19 and all appointments have been cancelled until further notice. You must register an online account and check the website regularly so you are able to book an appointment when they become available. You will not be penalised for not registering or having a certificate within the 7 day requirement as the police will be able to confirm your online registration.

Do I stay in quarantine accommodation for the whole year or move after the quarantine period to a different hall?

Where possible we will allocate students to their term time room for the quarantine period. This would mean the students do not have to move. If students who need to quarantine are able to arrive together, they can also form their household immediately and stay with the same group. There may be some cases where we will not be able to move students directly in to their term time room, in this instance they will stay in a separate quarantine flat and will then be introduced into their new household and new room once the quarantine period is over.

How does the quarantine food service work?

We will provide an initial food pack, kitchen pack and bedding pack for all quarantining students on arrival. We will be onsite to help with food deliveries to the 24/7 receptions and the Reslife team can support with click and collect and other access to deliveries.

Do you provide quarantine for family groups? If so how does that work?

Depending on availability, we will offer quarantine accommodation for family members. In this case, the student would not be able to quarantine with their new household and it is less likely that they would be able to move directly into their term time room. The quarantine period is free for students with an ongoing booking with us. However, family members will be charged a nightly rate for their room (prices starting from £25 per night). The family members would only be able to stay in the accommodation for the duration of the quarantine period and must check out at the end of the quarantine. These enquiries should contact accommodation@le.ac.uk. Family members could also book rooms at College Court during or after the quarantine period.